Monday, March 5, 2012

A conservative, baby hungry, bubble-dwelling girl

This post is inspired by a visit from an old friend. The purpose of this is to give a glimpse into the reasoning behind why I choose to live my life the way I do.

I'm from Utah.
I was born and raised in Utah -- South Jordan, Provo -- that's pretty much it. Some may think, "Wow Stace. You've lived in the Utah bubble your whole life." They'd be right. I have lived in a bubble my whole life -- it's the only thing I've ever known. But you know what? I'm okay with that. In fact, I'm more than okay with it. Utah, with its conservative people and highly infused Mormon culture, and I are the perfect match. I love being surrounded by people who share my values and beliefs. I love living in a place where I feel safe. I love living near my family. I love that I grew up in the only city in the world to have two LDS temples. I love that Provo, the city I now call home, will soon join South Jordan as a two temple city. I love the memories I have here. Memories, safety, family, religion. Why would I ever want to leave?

I attend Brigham Young University.
I come from a long generation of BYU Cougars. I knew the words to our fight song long before I understood what "alma mater" meant. Besides family tradition, what does BYU have to offer me? Oh I don't know...maybe a killer deal for a stellar education, a beautiful, clean campus... Campus isn't the only thing around here that is clean. We also have clean shaven men, and and overall moral standard of awesomeness. I love that we have an Honor Code to help better protect me from things I am morally opposed to. I love that I CAN mix my education with my religion. Now I know BYU isn't for everyone, but it certainly fits me perfectly.

I married young.
It's true. Christian and I were both 21 years old when we were married. Some may think, "But you're so young! You haven't experienced life yet. You're too young to make that kind of life-long commitment." To them I say, it's not a life-long commitment. When I signed up for married life, I made an eternal commitment. I know perfectly well what I got myself into. Sure marriage is tough, but it would be tough whether I married at age 21, age 35 or 56.

I want a big family.
I've wanted to be a mom longer than I've wanted anything in my life. I started making a list of baby names at the age of 10 and have been adding to my list ever since. Needless to say, Christian and I already have all our future kids' names picked out. I honestly believe that being a mother is the absolute greatest thing I could ever do with my life. Motherhood is noble calling and I can't wait to experience that.

I am a Latter-day Saint.
I know that The Book of Mormon is the word of God and it was translated by the prophet Joseph Smith. I know that Thomas S. Monson is God's prophet today. I know that temples are the house of the Lord. I know that through His plan, families can be together forever. I know that I will see my loved ones again after death. I know that my Savior lived and died for me and that He lives again. I know that His atonement is real and that through Him, I can receive eternal life. I am a daughter of God. I am a Mormon.

I guess you could say I am the epitome of the stereotypical Utah, Mormon girl. I've never lived outside of Utah, I endorse Mitt Romney, I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ, I married young, my greatest ambition is to be a mother, I own a crock-pot, and hey, I'm even blonde. And you know what? I wouldn't change a thing. I'm exactly who I want to be.

1 comment: